Sunday 29 September 2024

Edge-Lit 10 - Quick Walk Through - Part 2


Hi Book Nerds!

Continuing the walk through of my experience at Edge-Lit 10 in Derby in early September.

Just had lunch so onto .........

Panel 3 - To Infinity and Beyond - The Rise of Modern SF.



This was an interesting panel and a favourite of mine as you found out some back story into New Doctor Who from author and writer Robert Shearman.  He has written for Television including Doctor Who and wrote one of my favourite Ninth Doctor episodes - Dalek.

Joining him was horror and Doctor Who author Mark Morris.  

Author of Doctor Who and Star Trek - Lower Decks, Chris Farnell was there too.  The last author was Tom Toner.  Peter Allison was the host.  He is also a writer and journalist.

They talked about modern science fiction and how it holds up today.  Tom let slip his Mum worked on classic Doctor Who on the backgrounds and Rob became an excited fan again.

Panel 4 - In Conversation with Sarah Pinborough.



Mark Morris interviewed prolific writer and author Sarah Pinborough.  Sarah is quite a regular at Edge-lit as I'm sure I've seen her every year I've been going.  She usually calls out at the raffle and is funny and R-rated.

Sarah told us a bit about her life and that to date she has written about 29 novels.  These include Insomnia, which she adapted into a television show for Paramount. She has also written Behind Her Eyes, now a Netflix show.

I'm sure she mentioned how she got into writing and that it was later in life but she has been writing ever since.  Sarah also talked about her screen writing and how it differs from novel writing.

Mark was impressed as Sarah once wrote two separate trilogies at the same time.  One YA and the other Fantasy.  I will definitely be checking her novels out now.

Panel 5 - In Conversation with Charlie Higson and Robin Ince.


Interviewed by author Johnny Mains.  Fast Show comedian and author of the Young Bond novels, spoke about his writing, dark humour again and briefly about Fast Show.

Author and broadcaster Robin Ince also spoke about his work and new book Bibliomania.

Again an interesting talk, finding out about the two authors.  My only regret is not going up to Charlie and saying hello and how much I enjoyed his comedy.

Raffle -




Sarah Pinborough again hosted the raffle.  For the first time since I've attended Edge-lit, I actually won a prize.  I was the first to win something.  I won 2 books from Indie Publisher, Northodox Press.  I won on orange number 477. 

Night Out.



After Edge-lit I had a great night out meeting old friends Kevin and Hayley.  Plus met new ones including Owain, Tom, Helen, Phillip, Donna and Neil.  Also a few that names escape me. Sorry.

Overall Edge-lit 10 was a fantastic time and one of my favourites.  They just need to bring a lunch hour back for Edge-lit 11.

Neil x

No comments:

Post a Comment