Wednesday, 9 September 2026

An Evening with CJ Tudor at Leeds Waterstones

 


Greetings Readers and Nerds!

I went to my first Author Event since last years Edge-Lit in Derby and met horror/crime author C J Tudor.

She was there to discuss her new novel, Serenity Falls. A creepy mystery, where people are trapped in a US town.  There is something darker lurking under white picket fences, mowed lawns and big houses.

CJ even visited the town it is based on. Celebration in Florida, to do the research. The town was made by Disney although sold in the 2000s.



I have to admit I'm only just getting into horror novels and only read my first Stephen King this year. 
I've just started her short story collection A Sliver of Darkness.


I've been drawn to her mystery and horror novels since she first was published with The Chalk Man.  Plus I went to the event for my Mum as I've been buying all C J Tudor's books for her, for birthdays and Christmas, whenever a new book is out.  So now I can read them too.

I also love an author event.  Although when I met her my nerves got the better of me and I ended up mumbling crap. I must be out of practice.

C. J Tudor was both delightful, friendly and gorgeous. Plus very talented as well.

She told the crowd she used to be a journalist and even had a stint on a 1990s TV show called Movie Watch with Johnny Vaughn.  She started out as a guest but became an interviewer for a season. She was whisked away and taken to movie interviews.  Including interviewing Robert Downey Jr. who flashed his chest at her.

CJ also had a dog walking business and it was around this time when getting a new agent, she hit the big time with The Chalk Man.  
She has been writing for years. Novels and short stories and had an agent for years who advised blending the two genres of mystery and horror didn't work.  So she got rid of that agent and got the new one which she described as risky as she ended up on slush piles again.

CJ admitted her writing style is - make it up as you go along and does little planning.  Although she has an idea of what will happen.  She also writes in bursts to get the story out and goes back to edit after.

Her new book Serenity Falls took two years to write which she thought was too long.  She tries to write a book a year and short stories in between.  CJ is hoping to do a second short story collection one day too.

CJ also told us a bit about the novel she is working on now which is a sci-fi horror mystery.  She likes to push the boundaries of genre blending.

She also mentioned her experience taking her daughter to the set of The Burning Girls when it was filmed and was pleased with the adaptation. 

After meeting CJ who signed a book for my Mum, I was very impressed and have become a fan.  I'm enjoying her short stories already.




Neil x



No comments:

Post a Comment