Thursday 17 November 2016

Book Review - Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather



To fill the time on my commute to work when I'm not reading one of my normal, physical, lovely smelling books  (which I have lots to read).  I downloaded Matthew Mathers Cyberstorm to my phones Kindle App.

I think I got it free on a promotion and was a worthy read.

Set in the near future or future present it tells the story of what happens when the Internet and world communications plus power is targeted and goes down.  Throw into this the worst snowy winter for years and freezing temperatures and it's a realistic Apocalyptic event.

Seen from the POV of main character Mike Mitchel an IT fixer who luckily has some knowledge of what could be happening things go from bad to worse.
From his paranoia about his wife who could be having an affair ,  looking after his son and calming down doom monger and best friend Chuck.  Mike suddenly finds himself and his family and neighbours fighting for their lives with no power, communication and heat.  Plus dwindling food and water supplies.

It is an eye opener of a book especially because of the news recently with Russia allegedly hacking USA systems and makes you realise how easily this could happen at some point.

The characters are well thought out although some of the minor ones have little to do but this could be because it is from a first person perspective and seeing the events through one persons eyes.  This was a problem for me mainly because I I normally read third person books.  So because of this it was a bit awkward to get into at first.
Also there is too much talking of what could be going on with the Internet which goes into detail which can stall the action.


Overall  -  a realistic Apocalyptic novel which makes you think what could happen including after a few weeks lice infestations -  yuck.   But more action would have been better.


Score  -  7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment