Friday 8 February 2019

W H Smiths - A rant! Death of Fantasy genre?



Hi guys

Today was meant to be a post of film reviews but a worrying thing has happened instead.

As an avid reader and writer of Fantasy, Sci Fi and Horror one of the main places to purchase these books for me has been Waterstones and WH Smith's.

Sadly I have been to two WH Smith's in Halifax and Bradford and noticed the above mentioned section has disappeared and any Fantasy books are now mingled into the general fiction section.

This might not sound too much of a deal but then if there is no Fantasy and Sci-fi section will the genre slowly and quietly slip away?

For me as a fan I don't think it's good as now only independent book shops and Waterstones have these sections.

And yes there is online shopping like Amazon but not everyone likes to shop for books online including me.  I like to get a feel for a book and sniff it!
Also as I work full time it's a pain being in if you have to sign for it and a farce.  Plus books I've had from online before have been slightly damaged.

So my friends what do you make of WH Smith's getting rid of the genre shelf?

Will it have a long term effect on the Fantasy and Sci-fi genre?  Is this going to happen in all WH Smith's? (At time of post Leeds WH Smiths still had this section.)

I'd like your thoughts.

Cheers.

Neil


No comments:

Post a Comment