Sunday 4 January 2015

The Hobbit - Battle of Five Armies - Film Review




Hi

Went to see the third and final Hobbit movie yesterday with my friend Chris which I had been looking forward to since the second film a year ago.  I was worried as I hadn't seen the second one for over a year but as soon as it opened with Smaug the dragon burning Lake town I remembered the characters straight away from the Dwarves to Bard the Bowman.

The opening pre-credits scenes were amazing with Smaug destroying the town and being defeated by Bard (spoilers).

Then it switches to Gandalf being rescued then to the Dwarves in the Lonely Mountain looking for the Arkenstone for Thorin the leader of the Dwarves to become King of Dwarves.

There's a lot of plot threads going on leading to the epic battle of the title although I'm sure there were actually only four armies involved?

As much as I enjoyed the film which I made sure I did considering Vue cinema charged over ten pounds for the privilege I couldn't help feeling I had seen it all before in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.   The battle wasn't as good as the one at the end of Return of the King and too similar plus they were fighting for the Lonely Mountain which felt like the Battle for Helms Deep in The Two Towers and looked like they had used the same sets and made slight changes.

Although all performances were fantastic especially Martin Freeman as Bilbo, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Richard Armitage as Thorin, Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman.  One of the best scenes had 92 year old Christopher Lee as Saruman kicking ass.

The film neatly ended with connections to The Lord of the Rings and was enjoyable and a little gory.  As with all prequels though there's the problem that you know the main characters aren't in real danger as they are in future films.

Overall Rating - A good end to the Hobbit Trilogy even though seemed too similar to the first Trilogy    7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment