Monday 6 August 2018

Derby, Edge-lit and Gemmell Awards - Gemmell Awards


At last I made it to the Gemmell Awards which I have wanted to attend since 2009 but in previous years been hosted too far away.

This year as part of Edge-lit in Derby made it more accessible plus the added bonus of Edge-lit itself and meeting other writers and David Gemmell fans.



Hosted this year by fellow fantasy authors and Chair of the Gemmell Awards was Stan and Anne Nicholls who did an excellent job.
Among those handing out awards were authors Anna Stephens and R J Barker.





Author Andy Remic remembered David in a moving tribute and reminded us why the Awards were there as David was a friendly guy who helped other writers including himself even when Andy wrote reviews of David's books and sent them to David offering advice.
He told how when he received a publishing deal him and fellow author Ian Graham were invited to David's who talked about life, writing and publishing and they left at 4am.
When they heard of David's sudden tragic death they built a fire at Andy's and toasted David into the Hall of Heroes.



The Winners 2018:

Legend Award (Best Novel)  - Assassins Fate by Robin Hobb

Morningstar Award (Best Fantasy Debut Novel - Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Dames

Ravenheart Award (Best cover design/art)  - Richard Anderson and Lisa Pompilio for Kings of the Wyld.

I only met David once in Waterstones Leeds and only knew of his event from an advert in the free Metro paper I read on the morning of his coming to Leeds.
With excitement I rang my then girlfriend and told her and we agreed to go that evening.
It was my first author event so I was doubly nervous as it was my favourite author.
David read from his new novel Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow, then had the crowd in stitches with his stories.  He was funnier than most stand up comedians.
Eventually it came to getting the book signed and I knew I wanted to ask him a question about his writing.
When I got to David my mind went blank and I mumbled an hello and my name and he signed my book.
There was an awkward pause before I blurted out,
"Do you ever get RSA?"
He looked confused then nodded a yes then I was whisked away as others wanted their book signed.  I had blown it.
I had meant to say, " With writing so much do you ever get RSI? "

My other regret was at the time phones weren't as good and most didn't have cameras on them at that time and would have loved a photo with him.





No comments:

Post a Comment