Friday 13 December 2019

Book Review - Winter Warriors by David Gemmell


Hi guys

Well what a poor do.  I started Winter Warriors on July 4th 2019 and only just finished it.  That's five months!

The reason being life taking over and my laziness as there is nothing wrong with the book and once I was reading it I really enjoyed it.

In fact it's a Drenai novel I should love as it has the realistic gritty nature of war and life but adds extra magic and demons to the mix.

This Drenai novel has more magic and demons than previous novels yet like the other past books is also a good character study.

The story tells of the Demon-lord Anharat pursuing a baby which needs to die in order to let his demons take over earth.

Protecting the baby is a rag tag retired bunch of warriors including Nogusta who is a feared warrior and sees visions.  Kebra an excellent bowman and the huge fighter Bison.

As with most of the books I've read of Gemmells it touches on themes of old age, fear of death, honour and love.  Plus there is plenty of action although the ending was a bit disappointing as I was expecting a huge battle although the conclusion made sense.


Overall   -  A typical Gemmell novel with added demons but fun all the same and as ever some great writing.  I can't wait to start Hero in the Shadows although once I've read that will have a Gemmell break and read sci-fi or crime as starting to have Drenai fatigue.  But rest assured I will return to Gemmell books late 2020.


Score   -   7/10  (would have been 8/10 if hadn't took so long and read consistent.
If Goodreads 3 stars.

This was took 4th July when I first started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment