Wednesday 13 September 2023

Book Review - Ruin by John Gwynne

 


Books Read in 2023  -  No. 1

Hi Fellow Book Worms

At last I've finished Ruin by John Gwynne.  I started it last November!  It has taken a full 10 months to read!  That's 5 months longer than the previous book in the series Valour. 

Again this isn't the fault of the book.  Other circumstances were at play.  Mainly I have been in a reading slump for over a year.  Brought on by work I think.  I'm shattered after staring at 2 screens all day, every day and my personal condition doesn't help.  Maybe if I worked less hours?  Also I have been lazy and need to snap out of it.

This third book in the Faithful and the Fallen series continues the adventures of the protagonists Corban, Gar, Cywen and many others.  Plus the many antagonists Nathair and Evnis as they fight on opposite sides of a God War.  Each chapter is again from the viewpoint of different characters.  This is great as we really get to know the characters.  Plus thanks to Gwynne's writing he doesn't repeat what is going on in different viewpoints like some authors can do. 

Overall  - Even more action and betrayal in Ruin than the first 2 books in the series.  This novel hits the pace hard with characters getting in more danger as the series gets closer to a huge confrontation in the last book Wrath.  As with previous books I love how each viewpoint is from a different character.  This time there are even more stakes and Gwynne isn't afraid to kill off main characters and gives heart wrenching moments.  This is especially true in the final third of the book, which ends with huge cliff hangers.  I can't wait to read the final book. Fans of Gemmell, Eddings and Abercrombie will love this series.

Score -   9.5/10

Goodreads - 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment