Thursday 7 March 2024

Happy World Book Day 2024

Hi Readers 

Thought I would repost this book related insight to my love of books, for World Book Day 2024.  It does feature a few changes.

As today is World Book Day, I thought I would do a quick blog focusing on my favourite hobby - books! Book buying, book reading and book writing.

Here are some questions and answers regarding my relationship with books.

Earliest memories of books and reading?

My first memories go way back to primary school and learning to read in one to one sessions with the teachers. The Bangers and Mash books were a favourite and made me laugh.  

Plus the teacher, Mrs Yates I think, read out the Dark is Rising books which got me interested in fantasy.

As I got older and my reading improved, I branched out into comics, including Beano and Transformers. I also read the Ladybird books and Doctor Who novels. I read anything I could  with a magical setting, including Roald Dahl.

Favourite Authors?

Well David Gemmell is my favourite. His stories are full of action, with grey characters and life lessons. I was a late David Gemmell fan, but glad I managed to meet him and attend a David Gemmell Awards ceremony.


Other favourites include Terry Pratchett, Joe Abercrombie, John Gwynne, Raymond E Feist, David Eddings, Helen Cadbury and many more. There will be many more to discover too.

Favourite book shops?

Well the main one for me is Waterstones, as it has the most variety. Especially for my favourite genre's, fantasy, Sci-Fi and horror. It used to be Borders before they closed as they had even more selection.


I also love an independent book shop too, and if they have books I'm interested in I will buy from them too. Two book stores I visit are Brighouse Books and The Book Corner in Halifax.

In this day and age I also like to buy cheaper books from The Works, some supermarket's and of course Amazon.

What format do I read?


Quick answer is physical books. Mainly paperback, but some hardback too. Have read Ebooks but prefer the feel and smell of a physical book. Plus I look at screens too much as it is. Haven't tried audio books and let's be honest that's listening to books not actually reading. Have looked at Manga too but can't get used to reading backwards.

Book highlights?

Going to author and writer events, talks and signings.

As well as meeting David Gemmell, over the last 10 to 18 years I have seen and met so many authors. A lot of this is due to the regular events Waterstones have on. Plus writing events have helped too, including helping out with Cleckheaton Literature Festival.


Plus bigger events like Edge-lit have helped me come into contact with even more authors.




With Waterstones I have met Peter F Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds and even Joe Hill. Plus Stephen Baxter, Joe Abercrombie and Peter V Brett.

With Peter V Brett

With Joe Hill 

With Joe Abercrombie 

With Cleckheaton Literature Festival and Cleckheaton writing group, I have met Ian C Douglas, Helen Cadbury, Leigh Russell, Joanne Harris and Justina Robson. Plus many more besides including Jodi Picoult and Andy McNab.

With Leigh Russell 

With Justina Robson (3rd left)

Ian C Douglas 

The late, great,Helen Cadbury 

With Edge-lit I have met Stan Nicholls, Andy Remic, Christopher Golden, Conn Iggulden and Frances Hardinge and Anna Smith Sparkes plus many more.







I hope there will be many more author events and talks to come, including Edge-lit 2024.

Currently reading?

The Last Dodo by Jacqueline Rayner- which I hope to finish by the weekend.

Well hope you enjoyed an insight into my reading mind. 

What are you reading? What are your favourite authors? 

Happy reading.

Neil x











No comments:

Post a Comment