Wednesday 9 November 2022

Book Review - Valour by John Gwynne


Books Read in 2022  -  No. 3

Hi fellow readers

As I've mentioned before a few times, I started this novel on 4th June 2022.  It is now 9th November 2022 - it has taken me just over 5 months to read this novel!

It is no fault of the book itself or the writing of John Gwynne.  In fact I've loved reading this book.  It has a great, fast paced story, with solid characters and action scenes. With some gut punching moments thrown in.  Mr Gwynne isn't afraid to kill off popular characters.  The last couple of pages brought a tear to my eyes.
The novel again follows multiple POVs and each POV character has their own named chapters.  There are even more POV characters than the first novel Malice.

Again the story follows the upcoming war between good - Elyon's followers and the evil Asroth, with Corban the main protagonist and Elyon's chosen one - the bright star.

Overall - More action than Malice and more plot twists and turns in a well thought out world.  The story has some familiar beats to older fantasy novels and on reading this novel I think this series is part David Eddings, part David Gemmell with a dash of Joe Abercrombie but it's own story in its own right. I can't wait to see what Ruin brings as there's meant to be a huge plot twist.
I'm just annoyed it has taken me so long to read because of work and reading slump.  Also because I have cracked the spine on the novel - a book lovers sin!

Score   9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment