Saturday 17 February 2024

Book Review - Doctor Who - Forever Autumn by Mark Morris


Books Read in 2024  - No. 1

Hi Fellow Bookworms

At last I've finished my first book of 2024.  Still took longer than I wanted, as it's only a 244 page YA novel.  I started it on 22 January, so just under a Month.

This has to be my favourite of the Doctor Who novels I've read so far.  Not because I follow author Mark Morris on Facebook and seen him at a couple of Edge-lit events, but because his writing is fantastic.  It really brings out the Tenth Doctor's personality.  When I read the Doctor's lines, David Tennant's voice was in my head.  The same with Martha Jones.

All the characters were well rounded, and Mark gave good details to them in just 244 pages.  The aliens, the Hervoken, were excellent bad guys.  They were just trying to leave the planet, but their sinister agenda of using humans as fuel didn't go down with the Doctor well.

The way Mark described them reminded me of the Matt Smith aliens The Silence.  They had long fingers and arms and big heads.

The story also has some creepy scares, fitting for a Halloween themed novel.  These included killer clowns.

Mark also predicted a new Who meme which was in the 60th Anniversary specials, when Martha also says the below phrase.

Overall - so far my favourite Doctor Who novel.  Mark writes a satisfying conclusion to the story.   Some of the Doctor Who novel endings have been a bit vague and rushed.  I will definitely be picking up more Mark Morris novels in the future.

Score    10/10

Goodreads  5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment