Tuesday 12 January 2021

Book Review - Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

 


Books read in 2020(ish)  -  No 8.


Hi Peeps

Well it's took 3 months to read with a couple of hundred pages spilling into 2021 but I've finally finished book 3 of the First Law Trilogy.

I'm annoyed it took so long but with job searching,  watching too much YouTube and Xmas I didn't read it as fast.  I was hoping to read 12 books in 2020. Although I have done better than previous  years. I only read 3 books in 2019!!  In 2021 my goal is to read double amount of 2020 - so 16 books!

Another reason why it took so long to read is that I didn't want to leave the First Law World and characters, which you get to know very well thanks to Joe Abercrombie's excellent writing and characterisation skills.

His characters of Glokta, Logen Ninefingers, Ferro, Dogman, Jezal and more really come to life in these books. 

In this third and final book the action and story are the main focus with the Gurkish attacking the Union, a new King being crowned, final battles in the North.  There is alot going on in the 670 pages. Including political deceit and more magic.

I'd seen reviews where reviewers had said there wasn't much story but when you look closely there is loads going on.  Again the book and style reminded me of David Gemmell yet the character work was better especially Glokta. There are not many people who can write a torture scene yet have you chuckling.


Overall   -  A great finale to what is now one of my favourite series and I will miss the characters.  Yet there are the Standalone books set in the First Law world to read and a sequel trilogy to get hold of when the final book comes out this year.

Score  -  10/10

First Law Trilogy Overall - David Gemmell is still my favourite author but Joe Abercrombie is at the moment my favourite living author after this with great prose, action and character work. More please!

First Law Trilogy Score  -  9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment