Tuesday 26 January 2021

Book Review - Doctor Who - The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner

 


Books read in 2021 - No.1

Hello fellow readers!

Have finished my first book of 2021, a light Doctor Who adventure romp which was really good.  This is the second Jacqueline Rayner book in the set of ten.  The first was Winner Takes All which was an ok read and I gave it an above average 6/10.

The Stone Rose is the first in the set to feature the Tenth Doctor and is alot better than Winner Takes All.  Firstly I enjoyed the setting more - ancient Rome!  I also liked how the POVs were mainly from the Doctor and Rose.  This book also featured more of the Doctor and I feel Jacqueline has a better grasp of the Tenth Doctor over the Ninth.

The pace is great and I zoomed through the first three quarters trying to solve the mystery of a statue in a museum of Rose, this leads them to ancient Rome and meeting a girl called Vanessa who may not be who she seemed! She may also be from another time.

The story is good although the reveal didn't tick all my boxes and seemed unbelievable. It involves a future AI creature. Other than that I really enjoyed it especially the Doctor in the Gladitorial Arena.  I was expecting from the title a Weeping Angel story so was surprised when it wasn't.


Overall - a better Doctor Who book from Jacqueline Rayner, plus a great start for the Tenth Doctor.  It had good pace, a good mystery and the setting was good, although there could have been more detail.  Although with the books only being 250 pages you can't always get what you wish for. (Clue to story).


Score      8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment