Tuesday 9 February 2021

Book Review - Doctor Who - The Feast of the Drowned by Stephen Cole

 


Books read in 2021 - No. 2


Hi guys n gals!

Well I'm behind on my books I've read this year, but sure I can catch up. This being the 2nd book of 2021, and with 2 other Doctor Who books to read this month, I may just do it!

Anyway Feast of the Drowned starts with the crew of the downed and drowned naval vessel, the Ascendant, showing up to family and friends, as watery ghosts, with water coming out of their mouths and noses. Asking them to save them before the feast.

The premise and image reminded me of 2 episodes of Doctor Who.   The first being Tenth Doctor story "Waters of Mars" with David Tennant.  The other being Twelth Doctor story "Under the Lake", with Peter Capaldi.

The writing is good although some description of an underwater naval base, by the Thames confused me slightly. The characters feel like their TV counterparts, including Mickey and secondary characters like Keisha, Rose's old friend and Vida, a oceanographic scientist.

The mystery is engaging and the pay off to the alien threat is good too, with an hive mind alien force trying to breed.

Overall - a solid Doctor Who adventure from Stephen Cole, with good writing. It wasn't as engaging as The Stone Rose but still an enjoyable read.


Score  -  7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment