Tuesday 22 February 2022

Book Review - Doctor Who - Illegal Alien by Mike Tucker & Robert Perry

 

Books Read in 2022 - No. 1

Hi Readers

Hope you're all well, reading and staying safe in this stormy weather.

In January the first book I chose to read was a Doctor Who book as I usually read them quickly as they are short reads.  Sadly with this book it has took over a month.  Not because the book is bad but because I'm coming out of a reading slump.

Instead of reading the new Doctor Who books from the collections I have, which features the Ninth and Tenth Doctors, I thought I'd try something different.  I have a few books in the Monster collection.  A series that came out to celebrate the shows 50th anniversary.  They feature most of the Doctors and most are stories from the show.

Illegal Alien by Mike Tucker and Robert Perry started out as a script for the Seventh Doctor (played by Sylvester McCoy).
Sadly the show was cancelled before it went into production.  When the film of Doctor Who came out with the Eighth Doctor (Paul Mcgann), there was renewed interest so the authors turned the script into this novel.

It is great to revisit the Seventh Doctor and Ace, getting more story from them. Plus I fancied Ace.  Sylvester McCoy was my favourite old Doctor. He was, on the outside, bumbling and comedic, yet there was a dark undertone about him where he like manipulating people around him.  A character in this novel even notices that.

The novel is set in London during World War 2, where a serial killer is roaming the streets during the blitz and a strange bomb is found.  Are these events connected? 
The Doctors enemy the Cybermen arrives to complicate matters.

Overall  - A great book which reminded me how much I loved the Seventh Doctor and Ace.  The authors do a great job of writing their characters, plus secondary characters who appear in the story.  The threat seems real as the Doctor has to fight not only the Cybermen but also Nazis.  The only thing that lets the book down is the printing and editing of the book itself, with some full stops missing among the  problems.

Score    -    8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment