Sunday 21 January 2024

Book Review - Wrath by John Gwynne


Books Read in 2023/2024

Hi Book Nerds

At last I have finished Wrath by John Gwynne.  The finale to his excellent, The Faithful and the Fallen series.
It has took me some time to read this book.  I started it on September 16th 2023.
It has also taken some time to read the series as I started the first novel Malice in June 2022. That is 1 year and 7 months of reading the series.
It's not that the series was bad, and I struggled to read the books.  That's not the case at all, as I loved the books.  The characters, the world and the action.  They read very similar to David Gemmell, and every time I read, I enjoyed whilst reading.  It was probably the wrong time for me mentally as I was in a reading slump.  
I haven't added this to my 2024 books as I started in 2023.

Yet here I am, now finished and wow what a book, what a series.

Wrath wraps up the series in style, with action, betrayal, joy and sadness.
You see favourite characters have bitter sweet endings like Maquin and evil characters like Lykos and Rafe get what they deserve.
John Gwynne is an excellent writer who keeps you on edge, with short chapters and cliff hanger endings.

The story follows the final battle between Corban and the evil God Asroth and his followers.  

Overall - a great action packed finale to a great debut series by John Gwynne.  The second half of the book just sweeps along with action and cliff hangers as you see if your favourite characters will make it through the war.  I can't wait to read the sequel series Of Blood and Bones and John's Bloodsworn series.
Fans of David Gemmell will love it.

Score   -   10/10

Goodreads Score  - 5/5

The Faithful and the Fallen Series overall score - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment